such is my life.

November 04, 2003

i walk into the fresno airport. it is smaller than lubbock's airport, if you can believe that. two luggage claims side by side and a few gates here and there, and you've got yourself the official yosemite airport. i am looking for a sign with my name on it...i feel so foreign. no such sign. but i do see two people smiling really big and waving at me. they must be my ride.

i have been waiting at one of the two luggage claims for far too long. crowds have dwindled, and my luggage is yet to be seen. after about an hour, we decide to leave without it. all i have now are the clothes i am wearing and my pack...which i am now wishing i had packed with essentials instead of cosmo magazine, my cd player, my bible, and gum.

two hours in a car with people i don't know, and i am not feeling so good. this is seriously awkward. making conversation with adults. "so......do you have any kids?? no. oh...." cool questions kim. you always know exactly what to say when you are nervous. i am still feeling really sick to my stomach, and do the exact thing that i have been nervous about all day. i ask the people that i do not know to pull off the road so i can throw up. good thing i didn't eat breakfast...or lunch. humiliated, i get back in the car. but i am feeling much better.

i am a day later than everyone else because my sister's wedding was the day i supposed to arrive. we pass everyone sitting by the river. i am glad that the people i am riding with have errands to run in the valley. it leaves me less time with the wolves.

my time has come. everyone is gathered around a picnic table. steve comes and greets me at the car. everyone's eyes are on me. and then it happens. the lady i rode with tells everyone that i threw up. thanks. thanks. that's exactly what i wanted everyone to know when i am trying to make friends.

dinner time at the chapel. we have a stand and meet session with the congregation. and i am informed that i am supposed to lead worship. now.

church is over and i ride back to el portal with karen, steve's wife. she reminds me of my mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home